WRITER'S MEME: Sometimes it's ok to pimp yourself out. Post a list of the top five favorite fics you've written, regardless of fandom or the reason you love them. This isn't about the BEST things you've written, but what you LOVE most. Then tag five other people to do the same.
I've written a lot of fic over the past few years, a fair amount I still love for one reason or another. These are the ones that still give me warm fuzzies when I re-read them. I guess it goes without saying that all of these are for Farscape.
I noticed that of all the stories I've written over the last few years, the ones I love the most have a particular feel to them and are more abstract (and darker) than a typical story. I've been told more than once that someone won't read my fic any more because it's too dark for them. eh. For a while that bothered me, but it also bothered me more that people automatically categorize all of my fics the same. I started questioning every. single. thing. I wrote because I wanted to be a better storyteller and I was obviously failing miserably. After a while I pretty much became blocked on creating something new because 'why bother' if no one will attempt to see it the way I do, what I want to share with them, instead of what they expect it to be. I'm trying to stop thinking of it like that and get back the love I once had for writing because it was my way of getting stuff off of my chest and I need to have that back.
Blech, I didn't mean for this to turn into some sort of pity party thing, I just figured since this is a fic meme on stories we love I'd say something about... I don't even know what I'm trying to say. Ignore this bit. *g*
On with the meme!
1. Caress - (John - ACoD - PG) This really is my very favorite piece despite it being so short for a few reasons. The way it sounds, the feel and the fact I personally think I really caught John at that moment when he offers Scorpius the wormhole knowledge after all that he'd been through to protect keep it from him.
2. Red - (Ensemble of sorts - G) Okay this one is a bit of a cheat. It had been an original piece inspired by a dream, but because of how much I loved it, I adapted it slightly to Farscape in order to post it to Kansas because I wanted to share it so badly. Yes, I'm a dork.
3. Souls Parted, Souls Met (aka The Luvfest) - (Scorpius/John - Prayer AU - PG-13) I love this because somehow I was able to create a new unrealized reality with Scorpius and John in a consensual relationship. The original bunny was caused by spoonishly and continued due to questions that kernezelda posed that led to this expanded universe. While it is slash story I actually focused more on the relationship than on smut and I'm damn proud of it. *g*
4. Quiet Storm - (John - PG) This one I find so beautiful. It was inspired by a frelling license plate for god's sake and it turned out to be one of the most atmospheric pieces I've ever written. I still want to continue this one day, but recapturing the same feeling is tough.
5. This Dream of Our Life (John & Chiana - Post PKwars - PG) This was another that was inspired from a dream. What you read in the story is almost exactly what happened within it and it drove me absolutely nuts until I wrote it down. I remember waking up and just feeling absolute pure sorrow and heartache as the dream played out.
Okay, I'm as bad as Liza and I'm going to add a couple bonus stories that I like. I just couldn't figure out which one to cut in order to get these in too. So I said to heck with it. :D
6. Phantasmagoria - (John - PKwars - PG) Written for kixxa's birthday I sort of just let it fly in a stream of consciousness kind of way trying to capture John during Peacekeeper Wars finale.
7. Eaten (John - EM - R) - I think this is one of the first fics that I really went for a visceral feel to draw the reader in. (If that's the right way to say it.) I think it started with me unsure of what I wanted to write and just closing my eyes and allowing my mind to go blank as I listened to music and I wrote out that first sentence and I just fucking loved it - the rest just flowed out. It took several days because I questioned each sentence because I really wanted to keep the same feel throughout the entire story.
ETA: Whoops...forgot to tag folks. *looks over flist* I'm going to tag kernezelda, searose, elliejane, rydra_wong, and gigerisgod